Over the years, I’ve received hundreds of e-mails asking for book and product recommendations. I thought it would be valuable to create a constantly updated page where I share the items that have helped me most. I hope they do the same for you, too.
Disclosure: Please note that the links below are affiliate links. I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. But understand that I personally read and use all of these products. I would never recommend something that I wasn’t 100% satisfied with myself.
Table of Contents
- Daring Greatly by Dr. Brene Brown: The definitive book on vulnerability, overcoming shame, and learning to be genuinely confident. Her TED talk is amazing.
- Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff by Dr. Richard Carlson: A practical how-to on managing the daily stresses of life.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie: The required read for developing your social skills in life.
- The Charisma Myth by Olivia Fox Cabane: How to inspire and captivate people. She breaks down the science behind charismatic eye contact and strong body language. Tons of applicable exercises.
- Intimate Communion by David Deida: A guide to embracing your sexuality as a man and taking charge. Teaches you to create powerful, mutually-fufilling sexual relationships.
- No More Mr. Nice Guy by Dr. Robert Glover: A must read for overcoming nice guy syndrome. Learn to assert yourself, set your boundaries, and show your intentions.
- The Art of Manliness by Brett and Kate McKay: A wide variety of skills that every man should learn in his life.
- The Definitive Book of Body Language by Allan and Barbara Pease: A full break down of body language signals and what they mean.
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz: Four simple rules for happiness in life.
Fashion and Grooming
- A Complete Shoe Care Kit: Good shoes are an investment and if taken care of will last years. Use Allen Edmonds Shoe Trees to keep the shoe dry of excess moisture and in perfect shape. Apply Meltonian Shoe Cream using a Kiwi Horsehair Brush to maintain that out-of-the-box shine.
- A Dark Pair of Levi’s Jeans: A staple in every man’s wardrobe — an affordable and stylish jean. Go with 511 (Slim).
- A Grown Up Shaving Kit: Graduate from the Gillette multi-blades and invest in a single, sharp blade like an Edwin Jagger Double Edge Safety Razor with Feather Stainless Blades. You’ll get a closer shave with less bumps and ingrown hairs. Apply Taylor of Old Bond Street or Jack Black Shaving Cream with a Tweezerman Badger Brush and finish with Proraso or Jack Black aftershave.
- Chrome by Azzaro Cologne: My favorite scent. Clean and fresh yet masculine.
- Tweezerman Tweezer Set: For when you need to remove those excess eyebrows. Super precise and comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Wally 40″ Suit Bag: If you plan to travel anywhere, a garment bag is necessary to keep your nice clothes looking nice. It also has roomy compartments for shoes and toiletries.
Health and Fitness
- Iron Gym Pull Up Bar: An incredible way to work out your upper body at home. I make a rule that every time I enter the kitchen where I have it, I do a set of pull ups.
- Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men Multivitamins: The best all-in-one multivitamin I’ve found.
- Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Gold Standard: All natural, pure whey protein with many yummy flavors for rebuilding muscle.
- Valeo Medicine Ball: Really fun to throw around while providing a great workout for your core and overall balance.
- Vibram Fivefingers Kso Black Shoes: I ditched my other running shoes for these. Improved all the muscles in my legs and stopped my running injuries. Read the book Born to Run (listed above) for more information.
Many readers have asked me how to start their own web-based business. I recommend WordPress to build your site, especially if you’re not a developer. Below are the only three tools needed to get your page running.
- Namecheap: Register your domain name. They’re cheap and have great customer support.
- BlueHost: Get reliable web hosting. I’ve used them for 10 years and they have an intuitive control panel. A shared plan at $6-7 per month is all you need to begin.
- StudioPress: Pick a gorgeous WordPress theme. They provide an easy to use framework to create professional looking websites.